Monday, July 12, 2010

Mild Green Chicken Curry on Rice

Until the last year or so, I had really no true understanding or awareness of what
"curry" was. Then, with all the foods I loved disappearing off my menu I was encouraged to look into other cuisine traditions for
options. Curry quickly became a favorite, though I doubt if I'll ever be making my own curry spice mixes from scratch or delving very far i
nto the hotter curry options. I am quite the wuss when it comes to "hot spice" and the kids don't tolerate it well either.

I really like mild yellow and mild green curries with coconut milk, which I guess makes them more of a Thai tradition than Indian. I don't pretend to be an expert and t
he following recipe will likely make some purists gasp in horror, but we love it, it's reasonably healthy, very filling and tastes amazingly rich and delicious.


Most curry dishes are a bit labor intensive the first few times, especially if you have numerous vegetables that need to be chopped, but they're always well worth the effort. As usual, I never really measure anything, so I'm guesstimating on the measurements and never do anything the same way twice, but with curry dishes that's part of the fun. Here's my newest favorite curry combination.

Mild Green Chicken Curry (6-8 servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp flavorless cooking oil (corn, canola, etc...not olive)
  • 2 Tbsp Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste (http://www.thaikitchen.com/Products/Sauces-and-Pastes/Green-Curry-Paste.aspx)
  • 1/2 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 large carrots, cut in half length-ways and then sliced into half rounds that are about 1/4" thick or thinner
  • 1/4 cup sherry or white wine
  • 1 pound deboned raw chicken, cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 can of pineapple & juice (chunks or niblets in juice, not syrup)
  • 2 Tbsp cup sugar
  • 1/2 can coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp "Chinese Five Spice" seasoning
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. In a large (4qt+) heavy lidded pot, heat oil, curry paste, onion and garlic over medium-high heat until garlic starts to brown.
  2. Add carrots and sherry (or wine or a little broth), stir well and cover with lid, reducing heat to medium and cook for about five minutes.
  3. Add chicken, stirring to coat chicken with curry mixture and cook covered for another three minutes, then add all the rest of the ingredients, stirring frequently to make sure everything is incorporated.
  4. Cover and increase heat to medium-high and cook for about fifteen minutes, then remove lid and cook for another twenty on medium-low to let the liquid reduce, stirring frequently.
  5. Serve over hot jasmine or basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment